Angel Food Cake III
Classic angel food cake, light and tastes great by itself!
Categories: Desserts, Low Calorie, Low Sodium, Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian
Here's What You Need
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Be sure that your 10 inch tube pan is clean and dry.
- Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites.
- Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks.
- When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time.
- Do not overmix.
- Put the batter into the tube pan.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched.
- Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling.
- When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
Servings: 14, Calories: 136, Fat: 0.1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 131mg, Carbohydrate: 29.9g, Protein: 3.9g